Haunch of Venison in Red Wine Recipe
Try this slow-cooked haunch of venison recipe for a tasty and satisfying meal. Ginger, nutmeg, cloves and crushed juniper berries give it a fragrant flavour. Serve with sweet, roasted vegetables such as carrots and parsnips.
WHAT YOU NEED:
Sharp knife and basic cooking utensils
Lidded oven dish
1.5 kg (3.5 lb) venison haunch (back leg of venison)
2 onions, sliced
6 celery sticks, finely chopped
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg
- Lard the venison meat by piercing it several times with a sharp knife and pushing lard into the holes. This will stop it from drying out as it cooks.
- Brown the meat and onions in a frying pan and then place them in a lidded oven dish.
- Mix up the rest of the ingredients and add to the dish.
- Cover and cook in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for 30 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 180°C and leave in the oven for a further 90 minutes to 2 hours, until fully cooked. Turn the meat from time to time to ensure it stays moist and add extra water if needed.
- Slice the meat, making sure it remains covered in liquid, so it doesn’t become dry.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can reduce it down at this point.
- Then serve the meat and sauce together with your chosen vegetables. And enjoy!
Find More of the Best Venison Recipes
For more great ideas for cooking venison, check out these other dishes in the recipe section of our website. Here at Stagison, we farm and process all our own meat. So, if you’re looking for fresh, high-quality venison, take a look at our online Venison Shop. You can also call us on 01337 830237 or email us here.Contact us >